Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can I install cable/Dish TV or high speed internet?

A: Only if we obtain written permission from the owners of the rental. Tenants are responsible for all costs of installation and billing.

Q: Can I paint?

A: Only with written permission from the owners. The cost of paint and materials are generally your cost. In some instants, the owner may require you to paint the rooms back to the original color before your lease expires.

Q: I want to go home for the summer; can I sub-lease my home/apartment?

A: With written permission from the owners you may do this, depending on the property. If not, you would still be responsible for the rent while you were away.

Q: Can I use a space/portable heater in my rental?

A: No, they are not allowed as they are one of the leading causes of fires in homes/apartments.

Q: Can I have a dog or cat?

A: Any pets allowed are at the discretion of the owner and with written permission. There is typically a pet deposit required that is non-refundable.

Q: When is my rent considered late?

A: Rent is expected to be paid on or by the 1st of every month. Any rents received after the 3rd of the month is considered late and subject to late fees.

Q: How many days do you require before I vacate my rental?

A: 30 Days for month to month leases, otherwise three month notice is required.

Q: My roommate’s friend broke a window, are we responsible?

A: Any maintenance and repairs (including labor and parts/supplies) that are caused by tenants or their guests will be held responsible for the costs.

Q: Who do I call for maintenance and repairs?

A: We have a full time maintenance person that you can call! Most issues are taken care of the same day, based on the urgency of the problem.

Q: When will I get my security deposit back?

A: After the move out walk through, we will determine if there are any maintenance/repair issues to deal with that have been caused, beside normal wear. The costs will be divided equally among the number of tenants. Likewise, any rents or bills that have not been paid will be withheld from your security deposit. You will receive your check within 21 days after we receive your forwarding address.

Q: Who sends me my CRP (certificate of rent paid)?

A: Messina Property Management will do that! Please leave us a forwarding address if you are moving from your current residence or the CRP shall be redeemed undeliverable to you.

Q: What is your smoking policy?

A: All properties we manage are smoke free. In accordance with Minnesota State Law, all common areas (hallways, foyers, laundry rooms, and so forth) are smoke free also.

Q: Where do I get a schedule of alternate side parking?

A: Alternate side parking is in effect during the entire year if you live in the city of Duluth. We have schedules in the office or at the police headquarters. You can also go to: and view or print off the home page.

Q: Where do I need a parking permit?

A: Parking permits are issued to residents in the vicinities of UMD, East and Denfeld High Schools during school year and Lincoln Park School year round. Residents are sent renewal applications in either June or July of each year. You can also call the City Clerk's Office for more information.

Q: Do I need to get renters insurance?

A: Renter’s insurance can cover repair or replacement of your personal property damaged, destroyed or stolen as the result of various types of peril -- fire or lightning, windstorm or hail, explosions, smoke, vandalism, theft, damage by glass, electrical surge damage, and water-related damage from home utilities, and more.

For more information on Renter's Insurance - click here.